Want to Create a Beautiful Garden Stepping Stone for your Garden?
Your kid will love this fun summer project! Stepping stones are a very popular garden decoration. This is your child’s chance to design and create their very own! Follow the step-by-step instructions below to create a one-of-a-kind garden stepping stone mosaic.
A MOSAIC is an art form consisting of patterns of small pieces of tile or glass inlaid in cement or grout.
- Quickcrete – Sand/Topping Mix (60 lb bag makes 10-15 stones)
- Plastic planter liners-10” diameter
- 1 cup measuring cup
- Large ziplock bags to mix concrete in
- Smooth stones/rocks/glass beads- multiple colors work best!
- Water jug
- Roll paper to cover tables with
- Aprons or grubby clothes (THIS IS A MESSY PROJECT!)
- When we create stepping stones at our studios, we start by showing the kids examples of different stepping stones. We want them to notice the colors and patterns in the designs. This is also a great time to introduce your kids to the art term above- mosaic.
- Next, have your child plan their design with the stones on a table or flat surface. Encourage them to create a pattern or design instead of just randomly placing the stones.
- Measure 6 cups of Quickcrete into a large ziplock bag. Create one bag for each stepping stone you plan on making.
- Add 1 cup of water to the bag. Close the bag and have your child mix the Quickcrete by kneading the bag until the consistency is even. It’s very important to make sure the bags are sealed well!
- Once the Quickcrete is mixed, pour it into your plastic liner. Fill the liner about 2/3 full. The stepping stone should be about 1” thick. Let it sit for a few minutes and then have your child add their stones. Make sure the stones are pressed into the concrete firmly. If not, they will pop out once the stepping stone is dry.
- Your stepping stone will take about 24 hours to dry. Once dry, it can be taken out of the plastic liner.
Kidcreate Studio is an art studio just for kids that offers children’s art classes,
camps and art-themed birthday parties for children ages 18 months through 12 years.
Making a mess is the best at Kidcreate!